GATE syllabus for MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
ASHOK chakravarthy DADDALA
- Linear Algebra: Algebra of matrices, system of
linear equations, eigen values and eigen vectors.
- Calculus: Taylor series, fourier series,
partial derivatives, total derivatives, definite and improper
integrals, mmultiple integrals.
- Vector Calculus: Gradient, divergence and
curl, line and surface integrals, Green, Gauss, and Stokes
- Differential Equations: Linear ODE's, First
order non-linear ODE's, initial and boundary value problems,
Laplace Transform, PDE's-laplace, wave and diffusion
- Numerical methods: Solution of system of
linear equations, interpolation, numerical integration,
newton-raphson method, runge-kutta method.
- Probability and statics: Gaussian, Weibul
distribution and their properties, method of least squares ,
regrassion analysis, analysis of variance.
APPLIED MECHANICS AND DESIGN
- Engineering Mechanics: Equivalent force
systems, free-body concepts, equations of equilibrium, trusses and
frames, virtual work and minimum potential energy. Kinematics and
dynamics of particles and rigid bodies, impulse and momentum ,
energy methods, central force motion.
- Strength of Materials: Stress and strainm,
Elastic constants, stress-strain relationship, Mohr's circle,
deflection of beams, bending and shear stress, shear force and
bending moment diagrams, torsion of circular shafts, thin thick
cylinders, Eulers theory of columns, strain energy methods, thermal
- Theory of machines: Analysis of plane
mechanisms, dynamic analysis of slider-crank mechanism, planer cams
and followers, grear tooth profiles, kinematics and design of
gears, governors and flywheels, balancing of reciprocating and
- Vibrations: Free and forced vibrations of
single degree freedom systems, effect of damping, vibration
isolation, resonance, critical speed shafts.
- Design of Machine Elements: Desing for statics
and dynamic loading, fatigue strength, failure theories, design of
bolted, riveted and welded joints, design of shafts and keys,
design of spur gears, brakes and clutches, rolling and sliding
contact bearings , belt, ropes and chain drives.
THERMAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
- Fluid Mechanics: Fluid properties, fluid
statics, manumetry, buoyancy, control-volume analysis of mass,
momentum and energy, fluid acceleration, differential equation of
contunuity and momentum. Bernouli's equation. Viscous flow of
incompressible fluids; boudary layer, flow through pipes, head
losses in pipes, bends etc.
- Turbo machines: Velocity triangles Euler's
equation, specific speed, Pelton wheel, centrifugal pump, Francis
and Kaplan turbines.
- Heat-Transfer: Modes of heat transfer, one
dimentional heat conduction, resistance concept, electrical
analogy, unsteady heat conduction, fins, dimensionless parameters
in free and forced convective heat layer, effect of turbulence,
radiative heat transfer, black and grey sufaces shape factors,
networ analysis, heat exchanger performance, LMTD and NTU methods.
- Thermodynamics: Zeroth, fact and second laws
of thermodynamics, themodynamic system and processes,
irreversibility and availability, behaviour of ideal and real
gases, properties of pure substances, calculation of work and heat
in ideal processes. Analysis of thermodynamics cycles related to
energy conversion. Carnot, Rankine, Otto, Diesel, Brayton and
Vapour compression cycle.
- Steam engineering: Steam generators, Steam
engines, steam turbines-impulse and reaction, velocity diagrams,
compounding, reheat factor.
- I.C. Engines: Requirements and suitability of
fuels in IC engines, fuel ratings, fuel- air mixture requirements,
normal combustion in SI and CI engines, engine performance
calculations, componenets of gas turbine.
- Reciprocating Air Compressor: Isothermal,
adiabatic and polytropic compression, staging the compression
process, intercooling and aftercooling, minimum work requirement,
volumentric efficiency. Centrifugal and aial flow compressors.
- Refrigeration and air-conditioning:
Refrigerant compressros, expansion devices, condensers and
evaporators, properties of moist air, psychrometric chart, basic
MANUFACTURING AND INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
- Engineering meterials: Structure and
properties of engineering materials and their applications, heat
- Metal casting: Casting processes- pattern
making, moulds and cores, solidification, design of casting,
- Metal working: Stress-strain diagrams for
ductile and brittle material, plastic deformation, machanisms,
fundamentals of hot and cold working processes-forging, extrusion,
wire drawing, hseet metal working, punching, blanking, bending,
deep drawing, coining and spinning.
- Machining Processes and Machine Tool
Operation: Mechanics of metal cutting, single and
multipoint cutting tools, geometry and machining aspects, tool
life, machinability, economics of machining, non- traditional
- Metrology and Inspection: Limits, fits and
tolerances, linear and angular measurements, comparators, gauge
design interferometry,form and finish measurement, measurement of
screw threads, alignment and testing methods.
- Tool Engineering: Principles of work holding,
design of jigs and fixtures, design of press working tools.
- Manufacturing Analysis: Part-print analysis,
tolerance analysis in manufactureing and assembly, time and cost
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing: Basic
concepts of CAD, CAM , Group technology.
- Work Study: Method study, work measurement
time study, work sampling, job evaluation, merit rating.
- Production planning and control: Forecating
models, aggregate production planning, master scheduling, materials
- Inventory control: Deterministic and
probabilistic models, safety stock inventory control systems.
- Operations Research: Linear programming,
simplex and duplex method, transportation, assignment, network flow
models, simple queuing models, PERT and